Tuesday 8 January 2019

In love with the waves


Raman caressed my cheek as we watched the waves go back and forth in the sea. His hand smelled like sand and like himself. I turned my face a little and kissed his palm.


 “You okay there, Raman?” I asked when I saw the look on his face.

“Yes.” he nodded absentmindedly.

 
“Why do people say that waves and the shore are like lovers? All I can see is how angry the waves are every time they reach the shore. Every time they touch it, they destroy everything it once had,” he said after a long pause, looking at the half broken castle-like thing I had tried to make for him.

 
“Maybe it’s just a fling,” I suggested.

 
“What?” he asked, clearly confused.

 
I laughed. “You know, maybe the shore is just too much in love with itself. It does try to make it happen with the waves though, but it eventually never does happen; the waves mess the shore up for a while every time they show up, but then the shore just goes back to what it earlier was. Maybe parts of it are now missing, gone away somewhere very far – but the shore will live, you know? It always does.”

 
He found my lips before I stopped talking.

 
“There are certain perks of dating a writer,” he said and smiled.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment